The Bollard™® anchors, designed by Dr Hugo De Clerck, are used for skeletal anchorage in orthodontic and orthopedic applications. The plates are rigidly fixed by 2 (in the mandible) or 3 (in the maxilla) screws at a safe distance from the roots of the teeth. Most commonly the upper plates are inserted on the infra-zygomatic crest of the maxillary buttress by monocortical screws, 2.3mm diameter and 5mm length for the lower screws and 7mm length for the upper screw. In the mandible the plates are most commonly placed between the canine and the lateral incisor. For some indications they can also be inserted between the first molar and the second bicuspid.
The Bollards are CE and FDA approved. They are double packed and only for the European market gamma sterilized.
2 designs are available: the “Bollard” and the “Bollard with Hook”.
Consists of a 2 or 3 holes miniplate, a connection bar and a fixation unit which contains a blocking screw. The design of the cylindrical fixation unit makes it possible to fix all kind of wires to make a connection with the fixed appliance. 21 refers to the total length from the top of the miniplate to the 90° angle of the round bar.
1. Bollard Upper Left 21 (Ref B-UL-21)
2. Bollard Upper Right 21 (Ref B-UR-21)
3. Bollard Lower Left 16 (Ref B-LL-16)
4. Bollard Lower Right 16 (Ref B-LR-16)
Bollard with hook
The general design of the Bollard with hook is completely similar to the design of the standard Bollard except for the intra-oral part: it consists of a small 0.018×0.025” tube with an elastic hook.
5. Bollard with Hook Upper Left 21 (Ref BH-UL-21)
6. Bollard with Hook Upper Right 21 (Ref BH-UR-21)
7. Bollard with Hook Lower Left 16 (BH-LL-16)
8. Bollard with Hook Lower Right 16 (BH-LR-16)
Only for the upper Bollard with hook there is a shorter “Pediatric” model available. This model has been specially made for use in children where the vertical dimension of the buttress may be reduced. In these cases the shorter Pediatric model may be easier to fix. The total length of the Pediatric Bollard is 3mm shorter than its analogous standard model.
9. Pediatric Bollard with hook upper left (Ref BH-UL-18-Ped)
10. Pediatric Bollard with hook upper right (Ref BH-UR-18-Ped)
Upper Bollard with hook versus Pediatric model
It is recommended to fix the Bollard anchors by monocortical osteosynthesis screws with a diameter of 2.3mm. In the mandible always screws of 5mm length are used. In the maxilla also screws of 5mm length are used excepted for the upper one where a screw of 7mm length is inserted. The self-tapping screws need a pre-drill with a diameter of 1.65mm.
1. Self-tapping osteosynthesis screw (Ref AI05)
2. Self-tapping osteosynthesis screw (Ref AI07)
3. Self-drilling osteosynthesis screw (Ref DSSA05)
4. Self-drilling osteosynthesis screw (Ref DSSA07)
1. Osteosynthesis Screw drive (Ref IT0315)
2. Twist Drill 1.65mm diameter 54mm length (Ref IT1013)
3. Inox Organiser
4. Bollard Screw Driver (Ref BSD): this is the screw driver to secure the blocking screw into the cylindrical fixation unit of the standard Bollard.